We hope your family’s Independence Day celebrations are fun and safe for everyone. Although fireworks and celebrations go together, especially during the holiday season, they can be dangerous when used improperly, causing serious bodily injury and property damage.
On June 20th the Fort Bend County Commissioners Court issued a burn ban for all unincorporated areas of Fort Bend County due to the high risk of fire danger caused by drought conditions and record-high temperatures.
The ban limits the use of open flames which prohibits the burning of trash, campfires, burn barrels, and other open flame devices that can ignite combustible materials and result in personal injury, property damage, and loss of life.
Fireworks have become the main part of many celebrations such as the 4th of July and New Year’s. The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public show run by professionals and supervised by your local fire department.
If you choose to celebrate with consumer fireworks, please follow the following safety guidelines:
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Always buy fireworks from an established retail outlet.
- Always read and follow label directions.
- Always have an adult present.
- Only ignite fireworks outdoors in cleared areas away from houses, buildings, dry leaves, and flammable materials.
- Keep water handy for fires and emergencies.
- Never experiment or attempt to make homemade fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never re-ignite malfunctioning fireworks; soak them in water and throw them away.
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
- Never throw fireworks at another person.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
- Wear eye protection when shooting fireworks.
- After shooting them, soak fireworks in water before putting them in the trash.
For safety tips and additional information regarding the use of consumer fireworks in Fort Bend County visit the Fort Bend County Fire Marshal’s website at: https://www.fortbendcountytx.gov/government/departments/public-safety/fire-marshal/fireworks-mass-gatherings